The Houston Federation of Teachers (HFT) is the largest and strongest union in Houston ISD and Spring Branch ISD for teachers and in-school support staff. We advocate for better pay, benefits and the resources our students need in the classroom. You’ll benefit from the power of our local union, backed by our state and national organizations, Texas AFT, AFT, and the AFL-CIO.
Why join a union? Click here to learn more.
New Teacher Collection: Free Lesson Plans and Resources for Back to School
Access free resources using our Share My Lesson platform.
The Strongest Union Voice
- We are the elected voice of HISD teachers, paraprofessionals, and support staff. HFT meets with the HISD superintendent monthly to advocate for pay raises, better benefits, and respect at work.
- HFT members organize across all 270+ campuses for working conditions that help you and your students thrive, not just survive.
- Strength in numbers: We are the largest employee union in HISD and affiliated with the 1.7 million-member American Federation of Teachers (AFT).
- Affiliated with the AFL-CIO: 90,000 members in Harris County, 500,000 statewide, and 3.5 million in the USA.
- $8 million professional liability insurance per member/per incident
- $35,000 reimbursement for job-related criminal charges
- $20,000 accidental death benefit
- $250 for theft or school assault
- $1,000 bonding fee for job-related charges
- We provide representation for grievances and work-related matters
- Representation BY ATTORNEY for terminations, Texas Education Agency (TEA) complaints, and violations of the Code of Ethics (SBEC) – OUR UNION COVERS THE COSTS
- 30-minute free legal consultation on private/personal matters, including a 25% discount on legal fees
- Reduced fees for legal matters outside of work
Staff Support & Services
- Multiple representatives are available to assist and advise members.
- All staff are based in Houston and visit worksites daily for in-person support.
- Local office is open all year for member support.
- FREE professional development workshops for credit each month, including access to AFT’s Share My Lesson
- Guidance to apply for National Board Certification and additional certifications
- 1-1 coaching from HFT’s professional development director on classroom management and AFT’s Strategies for Student Success
- Access to Summer: Our union’s free program for student debt management, income-driven repayment, and help with student loan forgiveness
- AFT-sponsored Trauma Counseling: no cost to members for covered incidents
- Union Plus Scholarship program
- Union Plus vision, dental, prescription, and hearing discounts
- Member savings on hotels, car rentals, Southwest Airlines, and thousands of other consumer resources
Legislative and Political Advocacy
- Lobbyists in Austin and Washington D.C.
- Representation at the State Board of Education and other government agencies.
- Political clout at the local, state, and national levels.
- Strong media representation.
- Political program driven to elect pro-public school candidates.
Click here to download our “Together We Thrive” benefits brochure.
Our Bridges Institute for Professional Development provides free workshops to help you succeed.
The Summer benefit saves you and your family thousands in student loan debt. Take control of your student loans.
AFT+ Member Benefits offers our members a wide range of money-saving programs and discounts that can often help cover the cost of your membership dues. Enjoy savings on travel, pet care, mortgages, AT&T wireless service, life insurance and much more!
Share My Lesson provides over 420,000 free high-quality resources for classroom professionals and parents.