(Rules, Provisions, Best Practices)

You may be faced at some time or another with the dilemma of receiving a document or written reprimand that you do not agree with. In the event that it happens to you, you should usually go ahead and sign it. Failure to do so may result in another reprimand or memo for being insubordinate. If you do not agree with a document here are some things you can do:

  • Sign it and write next to your name “My signature indicates that I have received a copy but does not indicate that I agree with the content”
  • After receiving any document, you typically have up to 10 business days to write a response (your defense) and attach it to the original document. At the bottom of your response you should include: “NOTE: Please attach this response to the original document and any copies filed.” You should consult with your union rep. on how best to respond to certain documents.
  • You also have the right to file a grievance but you should always contact your union before proceeding with a grievance. If you are unsure about signing a document, call HFT at 713-623-8891.

Never sign a prepared confession or resignation letter without first consulting your union rep.