Welcome to our union’s public resource bank for news and materials regarding TEA’s reckless experiment of taking over Houston ISD. We are now an “occupied” school district. Sign up for action alerts and access additional information. We will make updates weekly.
News Updates & News Releases
- Rice Marching Band Mocks Houston ISD Superintendent with Austin Powers-Inspired Halftime Show (9/16/23)
- Houston Federation of Teacher Dismisses Lawsuit Against Superintendent Mike Miles, HISD Board of Managers (9/8/23)
- Judge Grants Injunction in HFT Lawsuit Over Illegal Teacher Evaluation System | HFT Press Conference (8/31/23)
- HFT Files Lawsuit Against HISD Superintendent and School Board Members Over Illegal Teacher Evaluation System (8/30/23)
- HFT General Counsel Advisory on “Open Door” Directive (8/30/23)
- HISD’s Miles Backs Off on Gag Order After HFT Threatened Legal Action (8/24/23)
- Educators Decry Latest Gag Orders from HISD Superintendent Mike Miles (8/22/23)
- HISD Teachers Say They Feel Tricked After Signing Contracts with Higher Salaries that Aren’t Being Honored (8/21/23)
- HFT Launches Survey for Educators, Students, and Community Stakeholders (8/16/23)
- Watch Public Comments from Board of Managers Meeting: HFT Leaders Voiced Numerous Concerns (8/11/23)
- HFT Joins “Read In” Protest at HISD Board of Managers Meeting (8/11/23)
- Houston, We Have a Problem (8/8/23)
- Statement on Houston ISD Plans to Fill Staffing Gaps with Uncertified Teachers (8/2/23)
- Update from Houston ISD: Fighting for the ‘Heart & Soul of Learning’ (7/28/23)
- Real Solutions for Kids and Communities (7/23/23)
Employee Rights & Guidance
- Using Your Personal Social Media | General Counsel Advisory (8/24/23)
- “Open Door” Directive | General Counsel Advisory (8/30/23)
Real Solutions for Kids & Communities
Our national union, AFT, has launched our campaign, Real Solutions for Kids and Communities, that rejects the toxic attacks against public education in favor of working to strengthen public schools, making real solutions for kids a national priority. We are addressing learning loss, loneliness and literacy through transformative strategies that can be sustained, integrated and scaled to help children recover and thrive:
Take Back Our Schools | Photo Slides
Click here to sign up weekly updates regarding TEA’s reckless experiment in HISD.
Click here to submit questions or comments regarding TEA’s takeover. We will respond promptly.
Click here to read our national union’s “American Educator” as we address the importance to reading.
Click here to read our 1-pager on our national campaign to thrive.